History of the Mennonite Heritage Centre Archives

  • c1929: The collection of archival materials now cared for in Mennonite Heritage Centre began around 1929. 
  • 1933 - 1940: Bernhard J. Schellenberg was appointed by the Conference of Mennonites in Canada as Conference Archivist.
  • 1941-1958: The work came under the direction of Benjamin Ewert
  • 1958-1966: Gerhard Lohrenz
  • 1966-1973: Henry H. Epp. By this time two special archives rooms for the collection had been set up at the Canadian Mennonite Bible College and Epp created a classification system.
  • 1974: An expanded program of heritage preservation began when Lawrence Klippenstein was asked serve as archivist on a part-time basis. A five-member board was appointed as well as a secretary/receptionist. Numerous volunteers also helped staff the Centre.
  • 1978: The Mennonite Heritage Centre became a reality with a generous gift of the Peter W. Enns Family Foundation of Winkler, Manitoba, that made building the Mennonite Heritage Centre possible. Its dedication took place in January 1979.
  • 1984: Dennis Stoesz served as interim archivist and Peter Rempel as acting archivist 1992-1993 when Lawrence Klippenstein took a study leave and later a MCC assignment in Moscow.
  • 1992: Connie Wiebe was hired as the administrative assistant.
  • 1994: Alf Redekopp was hired on a half time basis as archivist and Klippenstein then served as director of the MHC.
  • 1997: Lawrence Klippenstein resigned, succeeded by Ken Reddig
  • 1998: the Mennonite Heritage Centre Gallery program was started
  • 1999: Reddig resigned, Alf Redekopp became director and Conrad Stoesz was hired as half time archivist.
  • 2013: Alf Redekopp's retired in 2013, Korey Dyck became the director.